Interesting Distributed UNION Question

From: Roger Corman <rogcorpr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Oct 2004 12:37:49 -0700

I have an interesting situation that I thought justifies a question to the group. I have a distributed view that Unions data from two different SQL Servers A and B. Both servers have the exact same data structure. The view is something like this...

select *, 'A' as SOURCE
from Table_at_A

UNION select *, 'B' as SOURCE
from Table_at_B

When I select from the view, I want to filter by either A or B. When the database engine executes the select, I would like it to be smart enough to know that if Source = 'A' then do not select from 'B'. The select would be something like...

select *
from VIEW
where SOURCE = 'A'

When looking at the Oracle execute plan, I would hope to see that Oracle only selected from Server A and did not waste time querying Server B. If this isn't possible, I will be forced to create two distinct views, one for each server. Also note that I can't generate the view or select statement dynamically since it will be called by an application that can only pass WHERE clause filters, such as SOURCE.

Any thoughts on whether this is possible? Any alternatives? Thanks for any feedback.

RC Received on Wed Oct 27 2004 - 14:37:49 CDT