IS NULL on empty varChar2

From: dbyy <noname_at_fooled.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 01:08:03 GMT

hi everyone,

I'm quite new to Oracle and I'm a little bit confused about the following:

on a IF statement as follow

  1. The attribute Col1 is an empty string <''>
  2. on the statement (in PL/SQL/trigger) <IF TRIM(Col1) IS NULL> it returns TRUE.

IMHO, In this case, Col1 can't be NULL, it should be a (empty) string.

Is that right or do I miss here something.

btw. It's on Oracle 9.2, Windows2000.

Can someone put some light on this problem for me?

Any help or info much appreciated.

TIA Fred Received on Tue Oct 26 2004 - 20:08:03 CDT