Re: Oracle on a laptop - how to support large-scale sales demos

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:03:25 +0100

In message <%0Udd.19460$jo2.13612_at_twister.socal.rr.com>, Runs with Scissors <tgb_at_REMOVEsoftitect.com> writes
>I am currently working on a project for a Business Performance Management
>application. The initial goal of the project is to develop a demonstrable
>application that our sales force can show to potential clients. The
>targeted clients will be higher echelon retailers (read as very large data
>sets). One requirement of the project is to deploy, onto a single laptop,
>the application server/web server, analytic engine, and database - including
>a realistic data set (i.e. a few/several gigabytes of data) in order to
>provide realistic demonstrations. Note that in this case, several gigabytes
>of data represent a very small sample of the real-world product solution,
>say 1-5%. The primary reason for the single box deployment is to allow an
>anytime/anyplace demonstration. No network access required. They will not
>be demonstrating multi-users capabilities.
>

>Basically, They (aka Management) want a magical solution.
>

>The deployment will be Oracle 9i or 10g (Enterprise Edition), Web Sphere
>5.0.2, and an analytic engine I'm not free to specify at this time. The BPM
>application will include several star-schema data marts covering things like
>sales, inventory, planned sales, purchases, planned inventory, etc. The
>application must also emulate a real-time data feed, so the database will be
>a "general" database doing both transaction processing and data warehousing
>functions.
>

>I'm assuming that we will be able to get top-of-the-line laptops running
>some flavor of Linux (probably Red Hat), but still, a single CPU and single
>drive smells like a performance disaster to me, not to mention a 2gig memory
>limit. I'm looking for alternatives in the deployment model. One thing
>that comes to mind is a portable USB RAID solution with 5 or more drives in
>a RAID0 or RAID5 configuration. Another might be a three-laptop deployment
>where each laptop supports a specific server, or, possibly a combination of
>the two.
>

>Does anyone have similar experiences they would care to share? Alternative
>ideas on how to get enterprise performance out of a single CPU? Know any
>good magic spells, or rules-of-thumb to quantify the performance expected in
>a real-world deployment?

Its not reasonable to expect a laptop demo to demonstrate the performance characteristics of a full scale system, and I don't think your (potential) customers would expect it. A salesman demo is generally just to illustrate functionality.

If your customers are interested in the product then the sales process can move on to bench marking if necessary

--
Jim Smith
Because of their persistent net abuse, I ignore mail from