Re: My db

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:39:01 +0200

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:22:45 GMT, "Mill" <mill.h_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Currently have a oracle 8i database running on a windows 2k box with 100
>users, my company is now
>looking to link up a branch office in Spain with an additional 150 users
>accessing the db via the internet (VPN)
>
>The server spec is as follows
>
>2 X 1.4ghz cpu
>8gb Ram
>800mb Network
>
>Do you thing it would be worth upgrading the server for all these additional
>users ? Are there any issues
>running a app via the vpn and forcing the oracle server down ?
>
>Your comments would be appreciated.

8Gb RAM on Winblows is outrageous and won't be used at all if you don't have Advanced Server. IIRC, the upper limit of Winblows is 4G. Even for an ordinary app 4G is usually outrageous. With this number of users you should take (preferably both) measures: switch to multithreaded server (huge memory savings) switch to a *real* O/S

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA