Re: selecting a column according to a minimum

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:46:16 -0700

Mikito Harakiri wrote:

> Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com> wrote in message news:<2tkf50F20philU1_at_uni-berlin.de>...
>

>>IBM policy does not allow me - a DB2 engine developer - to install a
>>competitive product. The reasons for that are obvious: It would invite
>>lawsuits. Just read the Oracle licencing agreement if you doubt that.

> I always wondered if an issue like this can surface ever. Anybody
> could install anything to try at home, right? And now, the $1M
> question is, when you are telecommuting, are you legally at work or at
> home?
>
> How explicit disclaimer is? "If you are citizen of Libya, Iran, North
> Korea, worked in the past, or even think applying to a job for a
> competitor, you can't download this product!"

Surely Serge can get a waiver from Mark Townsend to install Oracle and learn it. I know for a fact that many of the IBM sales reps here in Seattle are learning Oracle like mad: Even taking classes on Oracle.

But then the dirty little secret is that they are selling more hardware to host Oracle than DB2 and Informix combined so they need to learn it to compete with HP and Sun.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington