Re: selecting a column according to a minimum

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:40:03 -0700

Serge Rielau wrote:

> SELECT i FROM
> (SELECT MIN(j) OVER() as minj, j , i FROM T
> WHERE [condition]) AS X WHERE minj = j
>
> Whether that is faster or slower than your original depends on the
> Oracle's internals which I don't know.
>
> Cheers
> Serge

Then just for fun I must ask: Why are you proposing answers when you don't know the correct syntax or the best way to do the job?

Over the years I've done a lot of work in DB2 but it has been awhile so I don't propose to instruct people in the DB2 forum on syntax. And this is not an attempt to send you packing ... but really ... why make the suggestion rather than just observe and learn?

If you want a copy of Oracle 10g let me know. I'd be happy to put one in your hands so you can learn more about Oracle.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington