ODBC application getting "ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded"!

From: M <ihatespam.0.a101888_at_spamgourmet.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:26:34 GMT

Hi Folks,

    I have got an C++ application that is using Oracle as the backend database, using ODBC drivers and BeginTransaction, Commit & Rollback. What I do is send loads of Update SQL Statements to the database and when the user is ready they commit the changes. The problem I have got, is that when a large number of records are involved eg. 100 I get the following error:

   ODBC "ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded"

    Having done some Googling it appears that the maximum default number of cursors (presumable 1 cursor / update SQL statement) is only set to 50. The only way to get round this seems to be to modify open_cursors=50 in INITORCL.ORA to some other number.

    Is there a way to modify this number at run time (i.e. Programmatically)?

    Any help would be most appreciated.

    I thought the whole point of using an Oracle database is so that it could process LARGE numbers of records! 50 seems to kind of defeat the whole object of the exercise! This just seems to be TOTALLY BIZARRE to me!

Martin Received on Sun Oct 17 2004 - 11:26:34 CDT