Re: Oracle9iR2 RAC & vmware workstation 4.5.2

From: MRam <lambu999_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Oct 2004 02:03:10 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<41705f9a$0$24889$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Kari Hakkinen wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I have setup an Oracle9iR2 RAC running on two RH AS2.1 hosts
> > that run on vmware workstation 4.5.2 on RH9.
> >
> > The only problem I'm having is that I can't get oracm running on both
> > nodes. I can start it on both nodes as the first node, but it always
> > fails on the second node.
> >
> > I'm using raw device as the quorum file
> >
> > Has anyone got RAC running on a similar configuration?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Kari
>

> Yes, but it's unreliable.
>
> What are you trying to do? Learn RAC??
>
> In that case, use VMware to get a RAC and don't try to simulate a cluster.
>
> A RAC simply means more than one instance running one database. It does not
> necessarily imply clustered hardware... and hence there is precisely zero
> need to try to get VMware to simulate a hardware cluster by building
> multiple virtual machines.
>
> You will find that the (hardware) cluster-less RAC works reliably.
>
> HJR
Hi,

I was under the impression that I need to have atleast 3 machines to have a RAC cluster. Is it possible to have a RAC in just one machine? (Yes, this is for learning purposes. I want to install RAC in my home machine).

If you can kindly let me know the configuration I would need and also point me to the resources for going about installing RAC with one machine (if possible) I would greatly appreciate that.

Thanks Received on Sat Oct 16 2004 - 04:03:10 CDT