Re: Oracle9iR2 RAC & vmware workstation 4.5.2

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:36:30 +1000

Kari Hakkinen wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have setup an Oracle9iR2 RAC running on two RH AS2.1 hosts
> that run on vmware workstation 4.5.2 on RH9.
>
> The only problem I'm having is that I can't get oracm running on both
> nodes. I can start it on both nodes as the first node, but it always
> fails on the second node.
>
> I'm using raw device as the quorum file
>
> Has anyone got RAC running on a similar configuration?
>
> Regards,
> Kari

Yes, but it's unreliable.

What are you trying to do? Learn RAC??

In that case, use VMware to get a RAC and don't try to simulate a cluster.

A RAC simply means more than one instance running one database. It does not necessarily imply clustered hardware... and hence there is precisely zero need to try to get VMware to simulate a hardware cluster by building multiple virtual machines.

You will find that the (hardware) cluster-less RAC works reliably.

HJR Received on Fri Oct 15 2004 - 18:36:30 CDT