Re: Attention Experienced Professionals

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 15 Oct 2004 03:01:59 GMT

Quoth Lemming <thiswillbounce_at_bumblbee.demon.co.uk>:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 07:54:21 -0400, "Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I used collaboration to the hilt, especially in lab work. If one student
>>already "got it" and explained it to another student who didn't "get it",
>>as far as I was concerned, real education was going on. Of course, I
>>wasn't responsible for certifying these people. The only certificate
>>Digital gave them was a certificate of attendance.
>
> I concur. And perhaps surprisingly to those who have never worked as
> a trainer, the person who gains the most from such collaboration is
> often the person who you describe as the one who has already "got it".
> One of the best ways to learn, or to consolidate learning, is to
> explain it to someone else.

What was a pain when I was taking Stats 311 (linear regression, taken from 'first principles'), was that I wound up doing a fair bit of that "explanation," and then saw some of the 'explainees' (my classmates) getting better marks than I did...

Of course, I always hated stats...

--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/lisp.html