Re: Attention Experienced Professionals

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:19:12 -0400

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1097719587.200523_at_yasure...

> There is little I enjoy so much as sitting on a friend's 50 foot yacht,
> after arriving at the marina in their Benz from their 7500 sq. ft. house
> and listening to them complain about how tight things are and how the
> government is taxing them into poverty.

I left that world behind a long time ago. If the only way they can be truly happy is to complain, then let them be.

Me, I enjoy doing a one week mission in Latin America, and enjoying how generous the really poor people of the world are, with what little they have. I enjoy sitting in somebody's patio, drinking a cup of coffee, and hear that person say how good God is. I would be miserable in the company you describe.

> If they think things are bad now ... they'll find out what bad really is
> when they have finally shifted the entire tax burden to those least able
> to actually pay it. Corporate taxes in America are the lowest they have
> ever been. Corporate profits are high. And yet I am getting a tax break.
> Go figure.

I honestly think corporate profits are down quite a bit from ten years ago. Maybe we should start another discussion on that subject.

I am glad you got a tax break. If you are having trouble figuring out what to do with that money, here's a suggestion: invest it in companies that are doing things that satisfy your sense of social justice. It's much harder to analyze and compare two companies on that scale than to analyze and compare the "bottom line" (or really "bottom line futures"). But it can be done. If you and millions of others do the same with their tax cuts, eventually, we'll all be the richer for it.

If people just run out and buy more stuff, then we'll just have more stuff. Does having more stuff make you richer? That's actually a deep question. Received on Thu Oct 14 2004 - 07:19:12 CDT