Re: Inserting from comma deliminated file

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:17:34 -0700

Nisar Tareen wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> What version of oracle do you have.
>
> Now a days you don't have to load the data via sql*loader, YOu can use
> external tables and let the data where it is on the file system and
> pick up the selective information and update your table or tables in
> your database.
>
> Good Luck .
>

> Nisar TAReen
>

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1097350323.134128_at_yasure>...
>

>>Rich Sias wrote:
>>

>>>I have a comma deliminated file with the first 12 columns to load into
>>>an Oracle table. Cols 13 and up will go into another table.  IDs from
>>>both will be put into a key file to match up both items.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have a method to load up form this for the first table? I
>>>also have a sequence to load into a 13th column. At one point I
>>>thought I could open the CDF as a table and select on it and insert
>>>into another table. I cannot find that reference now.
>>>
>>>Please include URLs etc for reference. I have searched the docs on
>>>Oracle but was unable to find the info.
>>>
>>>Rich Sias
>>
>>Does your Oracle have a version?
>>
>>1. SQL*Loader
>>2. External Tables
>>3. UTL_FILE

You responded to the wrong person in the wrong post. I've had 10g since it went Beta and have been teaching external tables to my students for more than 6 months.

http://www.psoug.org
click on Morgan's Library
click on External Tables for demos of reading and writing them.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington