Re: Attention Experienced Professionals

From: Alan <not.me_at_uhuh.rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:56:58 GMT

"Harry" <harryooopotter_at_hotmail.co_> wrote in message news:lR3ad.1237$z96.493_at_clgrps12...
> Alan wrote...
> >
> >This is one of the times of the year when we start getting a lot of
> >questions from students. There have been several of tehse lately.
Sometimes
> >they state that they are students, and sometimes they try to disuise an
> >assignment as a business problem hoping that someone will give them the
> >answer. I encourage everyone to try to determine if a post is from a
student
> >posing as a professional. They are usually easy to spot if you are
inclined
> >to look for them. I don't want to go into detail as to what to look for,
but
> >if you keep your eyes open, they can be spotted. Of course, the downside
is
> >that we may "accuse" a legit poster of being a student trying to cheat,
but
> >they usually understand and give more details about their problem, which
is
> >a good thing anyway.
> >
> >We should probably come up with some position on this, but generally,
> >students are encouraged to try to solve the problem on their own first,
post
> >what they have, and then we will provide guidance, hints, and clues- but
not
> >direct answers.
>
> I have posted a question titled " query to join two tables in 2 different
> Oracle schema" on oct 7. Mr Alan suggested to Turkbear that "it's a
> homework assignment." And then on Oct 8 Mr Alan started this thread
> "Attention Experienced Professionals."
>
> I agree with Mr Alan that we should not do homework for student.
>
> Frankly I am 48 year old, and I won't deny to everyone that I am still
> a student, even I have been working since 18. For me, life is learning
> and earning without a break.
>
> I am not a DBA; I earn my living as other profession. I was in the one
> profession for 20 years and I have been on my current profession for
> 10 years. My current job requires me to have database knowledge. Even
> the question I have posted may be newbie question to you professionals
> in database field, I don't think only DBA can post questions to this
> news group. And no one should put a rule for posters saying that if your
> questions are stupid, don't post them.
>
> If you think it's student questions, don't answer them.
>
> I hope you all have a good day.

Sorry, but this is a side-effect of being vigilant regarding students. Usually, a person like yourself will respond to the "homework accusation" post explaining his level of experience, and then usually provide more detail as well. Although this seems like a delay in your getting an answer, it is usually not- as the additional information provided will generally evoke a (more) correct answer than the original question. I wouldn't say it's a win-win, but its close. Please don't take the "accusation" of homeowrk personally. Received on Sun Oct 10 2004 - 18:56:58 CDT