Re: Two simple questions.

From: Fred Pierce <newsstuff_at_avialantic.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 12:33:30 -0400

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:54:03 +0100, Gama Franco <tiago_at_cern.ch> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>1 - Is it possible to run a stored procedure using the privileges
>granted to a user through a role? I mean, is there any way to do it?
>
>2 - How do I inspect the roles of a user using SQL PLUS?
>
>Best regards,
> Gama Franco

I'm surprised at the "no" answers to 1. If you put the procedures in packages and use invoker rights, you certainly can use roles. You do have to directly grant privs on dependencies when compiling the code. This is assuming you're using 8i or later. To quote Steven Feuerstein "...roles are effect at runtime as long as the invoker rights program hasn't been called from a definer rights program."

Definer/invoker rights are confusing and can produce "unexpected results" so as with most things, careful reading and testing are required for success.

fdp

Fred Pierce (DNRC) - avialantic.com/links/oracle.html