Re: Strange Operator in SQL Statement

From: Chris Gidman <cjgidman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Oct 2004 13:03:53 -0700

Frank Piron wrote:
> > TABLE1.FIELD_FK =+ TABLE2.FIELD_PK
>
> Since Oracle SQL is format free, your conditional is interpreted by
> the Parser as
>
> TABLE1.FIELD_FK = +TABLE2.FIELD_PK
>
> So the "+" acts as a unary arithmetic operation which is in
> fact identity.

Thanks Frank. I'm guessing that a previous developer was attempting an outer join but didn't know the proper syntax. They got this to work and figured that it was all good. I can't see any other reason for using the "+" operator in this case. Been beating my head against the wall for a while on this one.

Chris. Received on Fri Oct 08 2004 - 15:03:53 CDT