Re: I need to move oracle database from one to another server

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:05:24 +0200

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 08:17:21 GMT, "marqzik" <marqzik_at_wp.pl> wrote:

>> On the old server issue (prior to copying anything)
>> alter database backup control file to trace
>> This will result in a .trc file in your user_dump_dest directory
>> now shutdown immediate the old database
>> copy database files, redolog files and init.ora to new server.
>> Now copy trace file to new server.
>> Edit the file, adjusting filenames as necessary
>> Remove the comments and follow instructions in the file.
>>
>> This procedure is called 'cloning a database' and it is published in
>> the manuals, and in this group.
>
>Ok. Tell me" why it wouldn't work with just moving?

If you don't change anything in the file configuration it might work. However you need to make sure the controlfile a) matches the actual configuration
b) the SCNs in the controlfile are in sync with the datafiles

If you don't do that, the database won't start, and you need to recover.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA