Re: tnsnames problem

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:38:36 -0500

blx999_at_gmx.de (freak) wrote:

>hi
>
>i know there are some tnsnames-threads already, but i could not get
>them to solve my problem:
>
>i have a db running on a server and try to connect to it from a remote
>red-hat machine with oracle client installed. when i try
>sqlplus USER/pw_at_xxx
>with xxx the name of an entry in the tnsnames.ora-file it says
>ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
>but when i try
>sqlplus "USER/pw_at_xxx"
>with xxx the whole connectionstring instead of the name of the entry
>in the tnsnames.ora-file it works. my conclusion is that the
>tnsnames.ora is not found
>
>so my question is:
>do i have to make the tnsnames.ora-file known somewhere ?
>
>any hint would be nice
>
>thanx in advance !

Oracle's tools look in one of several places expecting to find the tnsnames.ora file:

1: in the same directory as the command being used ( $ORACLE_HOME\bin usually)
2: In its default location : $ORACLE_HOME\network\admin
3: ( and my preferred method) in a directory specified in an environment variable called TNS_ADMIN
     set this to the directory(folder) where your tnsnames.ora is located ( I keep it in the default location for my main
Oracle client ( I have 3 versions installed)) so I set  TNS_ADMIN=c:\oracle\ora92\network \admin

hth Received on Thu Oct 07 2004 - 08:38:36 CDT