Re: www.dizwell.com

From: hjr <nomail_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 09:07:40 -0400

Yes, there are reasons why the ebooks are no longer available. The site has just gone through a total re-organisation, and it takes time to get things together again. So give it time, and some of the ebooks will indeed re-appear. That's one part of the equation.

Part two of the equation is that I have to earn some money occasionally, so much as I'd like to sit in front of the keyboard all day churning out freebie download material, I can't. That means you'll have to give it rather more time than you might like for the ebooks to re-appear. You could always send me large amounts of cash to speed the process up, of course.

Part three of the equation is that some of the ebooks were killing my bandwidth, so some other format or mechanism has to be sorted to get them distributed.

Part four is that one possible new distribution mechanism presented itself when I sold one or two of them to publishers of good repute who will, very shortly, be making them available using *their* bandwidth, not mine.

And part five of the answer (though not to your query, but referencing a comment someone else made in the thread) is that my views change over time. Right now, for example, there isn't and never will be again, instructions on how to install Oracle onto 'odd' distros, like Red Hat 8, 9, Fedora Core X, Mandrake or whatever. That's because I've come to the conclusion that it's a mug's game trying to keep up with "distro creep", when there's a perfectly legitimate and free clone of Red Hat Enterprise Server that everyone could install (called White Box Linux). So there is a *new* paper on building a virtual White Box server, and new versions of the 'install 9i and 10g on Linux' papers that take account of that fact.

Hopefully, the value of the new is that they are better than the old, being based on them, but having also been written with new ideas for the future in mind. I can, after all, now write the 'fake RAC on Linux' paper I've been meaning to write for ages, because my readers will be using a legitimate version of Linux which is guaranteed to work, and not some freebie version that isn't.

So there's no simple one-liner answer. It's a combination of many things.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Oct 07 2004 - 08:07:40 CDT