Re: getting certified

From: Phil Britton <phil_at_bear.ukfsn.org>
Date: 05 Oct 2004 14:12:59 +0100

Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk> writes:

> In message <m38yam3ltc.fsf_at_bear.ukfsn.org>, Phil Britton
> <phil_at_bear.ukfsn.org> writes
> >Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> writes:

> >> A very difficult question. The OCP is as close to worthless as something
> >> can be. It has incorrect answers, it asks about obscurities, and it does
> >> not focus on those skills actually required to "do the job."
> >>
> >> At this point, unfortunately, our industry has no actual means of
> >> measuring competency. And that not only helps the feeble it hurts the able.
> >
> >Unfortunately, in the UK, if you want contract post doing Oracle work
> >one of the first questions you are asked is "Have you got the OCP?".
> >
> >I'm giving up the fight and am going to get certified, even though
> >I've been working with Oracle since version 7,
> >

> Its a couple of yours since I have recruited any DBAs (contract or
> permanent), but the OCP never featured in my criteria. The only things
> that mattered were experience and/or indication at interview that they
> knew what they were doing.
>
> What kind of firms do you contract for?

None that have have asked from the OCP as yet but I've had quite a few calls from agencies recently who have asked about OCP. I've been doing mainly Oracle development work for the last ten years or so and have had longer or shorter bouts of DBA work during that period, even traing and advising customers DBAs. This means, however, that my job title never contains the word "DBA", which makes some people a bit suspicious when the role I am going for is mainly DBA work. It usually then that the "Do you have OCP?" question comes up.

I'm working on the premise that people who know stuff will read my CV properly and give me an interview, people who don't will see the words OCP and give me an interview. The probem is, is that your CV often has to get past a few people who can only read "OCP" before the people with technical knowledge get to see it, especially if your dealing with big government departments or with the big boys like Syntegra, EDS, Accenture etc who are the main users of contractors here in the NE of England,

cheers

Phil Received on Tue Oct 05 2004 - 08:12:59 CDT