Re: getting certified

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:31:49 +0100

In message <m38yam3ltc.fsf_at_bear.ukfsn.org>, Phil Britton <phil_at_bear.ukfsn.org> writes
>Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> writes:
>
>> John T wrote:
>>
>> > Dave,
>> > What would be the best thing to do then?
>> > John
>> > "Dave" <david.sharples3_at_ntlXworld.com> wrote in message

>> A very difficult question. The OCP is as close to worthless as something
>> can be. It has incorrect answers, it asks about obscurities, and it does
>> not focus on those skills actually required to "do the job."
>>
>> At this point, unfortunately, our industry has no actual means of
>> measuring competency. And that not only helps the feeble it hurts the able.
>
>Unfortunately, in the UK, if you want contract post doing Oracle work
>one of the first questions you are asked is "Have you got the OCP?".
>
>I'm giving up the fight and am going to get certified, even though
>I've been working with Oracle since version 7,

Its a couple of yours since I have recruited any DBAs (contract or permanent), but the OCP never featured in my criteria. The only things that mattered were experience and/or indication at interview that they knew what they were doing.

What kind of firms do you contract for?

--
Jim Smith
Because of their persistent net abuse, I ignore mail from