Re: before image ++OCP

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 07:15:21 -0400

"Odba2003" <odba2003_at_aol.com> wrote in message news:20041003090323.23728.00001370_at_mb-m12.aol.com...
| I agree that certification may not buy you much. However, I do not agree
that
| it is totally worthless. The real value in certification is that it keeps
you
| abreast of the new features of the software. We all know that Oracle keeps
| re-inventing itself with new features. When I first got certified in
Oracle
| (version 7.3), they didn't even have partitioned tables. Now each
tablespace
| can even have a different block size.So, for myself, taking the upgrade
| certification exams, keep me current on the new development.

there are other and perhaps better ways to keep abreast of new features -- such as the new features manuals, the new manuals, this forum, and actually using the software. i have found all of these to be much more reliable than the OCP materials, and less error-prone. but for some, the OCP path may provide the structure they need. however, your comment in your other post that books you recommend need to be gone over with a fine tooth come implies that even in the 'best' OCP books there is misleading information (if i'm understanding your comment correctly -- don't mean to put words in your mouth)

the main problem that i see with OCP is that it does not measure problem solving ability -- just fact memorization, and often facts in isolation. but that's just my rather stubborn opinion ;-)

++ mcs Received on Mon Oct 04 2004 - 06:15:21 CDT