Avoiding external join by joining strings

From: Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann_at_freenet.de>
Date: 4 Oct 2004 00:50:30 -0700

Hi,

I have a program, which reads a list of rows from table A. There is a 1:n relation
between table A and B. For any row we find in A, we start a query for the matching rows in B , reading the "name" column. Finally, we concatenate these "name"
columns into a string like

   "name1, name2, name3"

Is it possible, to let Oracle do the concatenation? If so, we could avoid the per row queries (which I call external join), thus possibly speeding up the operation a lot.

Regards,

Jochen Received on Mon Oct 04 2004 - 02:50:30 CDT