Re: Oracle scalability issues

From: Alan <alan_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:37:24 -0400

"Jørgen Ruud" <jorgenru_at_tiger.stud.ntnu.no> wrote in message news:slrnclnl7k.iul.jorgenru_at_tiger.stud.ntnu.no...
> In article <C1I6d.2541$eq.2493_at_edtnps84>, Hans Forbrich wrote:
>
> >> I'm doing some calculations and wonder if anyone know how many
> >> CPU instructions a SQL operations in Oracle needs (just a rough number,
> >> are we talking 10^6 or 10^7), and how many clock cycles does it need to
> >> complete?
>
> >What is the meaning of 'SQL Operation' for your context.
> For this will e.g be a TCP-B operation, read one tuppel, write one
> tuppel, update two tuppels. Some simple standard operation.
>
> What I'm after here is a simple: "stick our finger in the air, and give
> me a feel" on the numbers i'm requesting. It is just so i get an
> indication on the cpu usage a simple database operation use.
>
> --
> Jørgen Ruud
> jorgenru_at_stud.ntnu.no

We know what you are after, but we are trying to tell you that the answer is not that simple. In a sense, you are asking the wrong question. Anyway, no one knows how many CPU instructions are needed. First, it is irrelevant to the SQL user, and second, it is most likely proprietary information for each RDBMS. The RDBMS hides that layer of detail from the user. The engine takes the SQL and ultimately turns it into machine instructions, and it is these instructions that use the CPU cycles. The other items mentioned (proper application coding, writing good SQL, designing a realtional schema properly, tuning database memory and disk usage) are what we deal with. The people who write compilers and chip instructions are the ones who deal with CPU cycles. Received on Thu Sep 30 2004 - 08:37:24 CDT