Re: Quickets way to learn Oracle

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:41:45 -0400

"Jan Gelbrich" <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de> wrote in message news:2s1ofkF1f344lU1_at_uni-berlin.de...
| "John T" <john.templeton2004NOSPAM_at_blueyonder.co.uk> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag
| > Jan,
| >
| > My current back is "IT Support" currently work with MS Office, MS
| Exchange
| > and Active Directory and that, but i'm really interested in training
| towards
| > a junior developer.
| >
| > Have you got any advice for me?
| > Or how i could achieve this?
| >
| > Thanks
| >
| > John
|
| If You can afford it, take a class on Oracle basics.
|
| If not, read a book that might be suitable for You. Then, I would suggest
| O´Reilly books,
| e.g. "Oracle in a Nutshell" or "Oracle Essentials". IMHO they are some of
| the best introductions for newbees.
|
| If You are interested in Developing, concentrate on PL/SQL and Java. You
| maybe want to know about
| Oracle Developer Suite.
|
| And for Your practice, download the software from Oracle on a evaluation
| license - it is free :)
| If You have an Oracle database at Your company, ask Your DBA to have a
| Schema where You can
| practice; if not, download the Oracle Database and install in on Your test
| PC.
|
| HTH, Jan

another good place to get a practice account is via oracle HTML DB site -- it's designed to get you familiar with the HTML DB product (fair enough) but it also includes a SQL Workshop that allows free-text entry of SQL and PL/SQL in a 10g environment

link: http://htmldb.oracle.com/pls/otn/htmldb

database version: 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.2.0 account privileges:

      CREATE TABLE
      CREATE CLUSTER
      CREATE SYNONYM
      CREATE VIEW
      CREATE SEQUENCE
      CREATE DATABASE LINK
      CREATE PROCEDURE
      CREATE TRIGGER
      CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW
      CREATE TYPE
      CREATE LIBRARY
      CREATE OPERATOR
      CREATE INDEXTYPE
      CREATE DIMENSION
      CREATE ANY CONTEXT

CREATE JOB ++ mcs Received on Thu Sep 30 2004 - 06:41:45 CDT