Re: Auditing

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:32:42 +0200

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:28:55 GMT, "Oradba Linux" <techiey2k3_at_comcast.net> wrote:

>"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl> wrote in
>message news:omqhl0t04nil8ubshc8e7vdarslh1hkmke_at_4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:07:02 GMT, "Oradba Linux"
>> <techiey2k3_at_comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Question about auditing web connections to the oracle 9204 DB .
>> >
>> >There is a pool of connections from an application server like weblogic.
>> >Auditing is turned on in such a way that select on a table
>> >by session should create an audit entry. Will x many entries get created,
>if
>> >x sessions (?) access the database using the same connection or will just
>> >one entry be recorded even though 100 web users could have used the same
>> >connection and accessed the database.
>> >

>> a session is a session, so x many entries will be created.
>>

>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
>I am not seeing this behavior. When there are 50 persistent connections from
>an application server into the database,
>i see only 50 audit entries in sys.aud$. If 1000s of web users access the
>application, they still use one of the persistent connections and
>only create one audit entry in sys.aud$. Unless that connection is
>refreshed, there is no audit entry created in the database.

It seems from the Oracle perspective you just have 50 sessions, nothing more nothing less. If these sessions are pooled by a third party product, Oracle wouldn't see that. As for as Oracle is concerned there are 50 sessions. You seem to be misusing the term 'connection'. An Oracle connection *can* be pooled, but that would result in different sessions. Apparently Oracle isn't pooling, so whatever happens on the other end of the wire is unknown.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA