Re: oracle vs. ms access

From: Greg Forestieri <gforestieri9_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Sep 2004 06:23:09 -0700

"Terence Hill" <phayaok_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<An74d.303219$vG5.11513_at_news.chello.at>...
> This sounds like a joke, but my company really thinks about a supply
> software that is based on a access db. Please give me comments against
> access in relation to oracle.
>
> Thanks for help
>
> Walter

I know you are not joking, I've seen lunacy like this before.

My heart goes out to you.

"We're taking a trip to the moon - which way do we go? Apollo rocket or one of them things the Boy Scouts play with. Uh idunno Vern, them Boy Scout rockets sure is cheap."

You build a "prototype" in Access and they end up making it a production system. They save "big bucks". That's another thing that I've seen happen.

If they want more than 1 or 2 users to be able to use the system at a time they need to avoid Access. You can argue MS SQL Server, you can argue SYBASE, you can't argue Access. It's just not practical for anything beyond a "personal computing application". Remind them that it comes bundled with Office, which is a "personal computing platform".

Good luck Received on Mon Sep 27 2004 - 08:23:09 CDT