Re: Dynamic SQL to disable constraints.

From: Louis Frolio <froliol_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Sep 2004 15:35:36 -0700

ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com (Ed prochak) wrote in message news:<4b5394b2.0409231011.4533ee7e_at_posting.google.com>...
> froliol_at_yahoo.com (Louis Frolio) wrote in message news:<94c28610.0409221525.70a3f4e7_at_posting.google.com>...
> > ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com (Ed prochak) wrote in message news:<4b5394b2.0409221035.7c00c040_at_posting.google.com>...
> []
> > > then Sybrand Baker:
> > >
> > > execute immediate works without problem.
> > > I would urge you to look into better solutions, like to find out
> > > whether you can set the constraints to deferred.
> > > This method is, ahem, yes: crap.
> > > ===
> > > first he noted your solution would work (implying it is a compile time
> > > problem), hinted at an alternative solution (defferred constraints),
> > > and ended with a remark about the first solution's ability to enhance
> > > plant growth. 8^)
> > > yes the remark might be more diplomatically worded. Okay, let's call
> > > it negative.
> > >
> []

> > > This is the way of newsgroups. IF you read the news.newusers posting,
> > > then you might know that you should browse a group for a bit before
> > > posting. Then you would know the culture of the group. It is not the
> > > group's responsibility to find multicultural-acceptable responses to
> > > posts. (especially since that may be impossible.) You would also know
> > > to search the group for the FAQ to see if it holds the answer to your
> > > question. And nowadays with GOOGLE and other search engines, you can
> > > search the group to see if your question was answered before.
> > >

> > > Have you ever dealt with a gruff fellow employee at work? In the
> > > market? while driving?
> > > Do you really think newsgroups are any different than those other
> > > areas of life?
> > >
> > > Have a nice day, and keep posting.
> > > Ed.
> >

> > Ed, I applaud you for intervening with a genuine and earnest intent.
> > I had put this issue to rest but I am willing to discuss further.
> > With that said I would like you to re-read Sybrand's first response to
> > my query and in all honesty tell me that he provided a straight answer
> > as it pertained to my PL/SQL question. Yes he did indicate that
> > "execute immediate" is the way to go and I had tried that (see my
> > original post), obviously I had some syntax wrong and I was hoping
> > that someone in the group could show me the error. What he should
> > have said was that my code was indeed erroneous and I that I needed to
> > look more carefully at what I did. As you state "hinted at an
> > alternative solution (deferred constraints)" is completely irrelevant
> > to my initial query and as far as I am concerned should have been a
> > side note to his response if he felt compelled to share his position.
>
> Actually, if sybrand doesn't mind my paraphrasing, he made three
> points:
>
> your posted code has a compile problem, BUT
> there is another way to solve your problem.
> The alternative is much safer and robust.

> [...]

Ed, I agree. These back and forth's get to be old quick. I am not here to argue, the news groups are actually quite usefull. Finally, given the fact that we don't see eye to eye is acceptable, ".. Taste's cannot be disputed... ." With that said let this thread fade.

Louis Received on Thu Sep 23 2004 - 17:35:36 CDT