Re: Migrate Data from MSAccess to Oracle

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:15:33 -0400

| > Hi All,
| >
| > We have an application in french language at client site which is
| > using MS-Access as DB. Now we redesigned the application to web based
| > using java and Oracle as the backend DB. Now they want to load data in
| > MS-Access db to oracle db. I'm using UTF8 db in oracle. Oracle DB and
| > MSAccess DB are not much syncronized with tables/columns. Can anyone
| > tell me how can i approach for data migration?
| >
| > Thanks in advance,
| > Praveen
|

| Look into "ODBC"

at some point oracle had an MS-Access Migration Assistant, but I'm not sure if that is still around or how good it is/was

however, as Greg mentioned, ODBC is a very good option -- you can attach Oracle tables to MS-Access and then use simple Access append queries to copy (insert) access data into Oracle tables

i would suggest creating oracle tables that are a mirror image of each access table and just move the data as is, then use PL/SQL procedures to transform these 'staging' tables to the production tables

++ mcs Received on Wed Sep 22 2004 - 15:15:33 CDT