Re: oracle vs. ms access

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 05:28:10 GMT

Terence Hill wrote:

> This sounds like a joke, but my company really thinks about a supply
> software that is based on a access db. Please give me comments against
> access in relation to oracle.
>
> Thanks for help
>
> Walter

Some questions you need to mull over with this one ..

An Oracle based solution _might_ be overkill in some situations. Remember that a fair number of small businesses are happily using Quicken and QuickBooks for their financials.

In my experience, some of the hidden costs related to Access applications appear 1-3 years down the road because:

And finally, two years from now, when the business grows, how will the Access program be migrated to an 'industrial' database. (I get/hear this kind of request about once a month - generally after 2 years of data as been lost due to lack of backup.)

/Hans Received on Wed Sep 22 2004 - 00:28:10 CDT