Re: Windows, Oracle, Registry and Services

From: adamenos <adamenos_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 Sep 2004 22:58:31 -0700

Take a look at cloning databases. It's a pretty involved process so I won't go into detail here. To learn how it works, take a close look at the Oracle Database Creation Assistant and learn what it has to do to clone a database when you choose to create an OLTP database (for example) including datafiles using the DBCA. Oracle provides thorough documentation online regarding the registry entries that they create.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/win.920/a95490/registry.htm#1006540

I use Oracle 9.2.0.3. The process does work with Oracle 8.1.7 as I have tested that as well. What I found was that I could create a database on one computer, zip it up along with the registry entries, move it to another computer, unzip the necessary datafiles and rebuild the registry. This is great if you want to get a database from your customer but don't want to perform an export and import.