Re: Automic FIFO in Tables?

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:27:58 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Hans Forbrich wrote:
>

>> Caja wrote:
>>

>>>Hi there,
>>>
>>>I heard something about the automatic, configurable deletion of old
>>>rows in tables in Ora 9i. This should take place in the CREATE TABLE
>>>syntax.
>>>
>>>Does someone knows about that?
>>>Thanks for any advice!
>>>
>>>Carsten

>> I think you are looking for the Global Temporary Table definition.
>> Either that or Advanced Queues (Oracle's name for message queues) which
>> are implemented as using tables.
>>
>> Much more detail at htp://docs.oracle.com (and specifically for
>> Oracle9iR2 at http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.homepage)
>>
>> If the former, look at the SQL Reference Manual for syntax and details.
>> Also look at Concepts Manual and DB Administrator's Guide for necessary
>> background and conditions.
>>
>> If Advanced Queueing, I suggest the following docco, in order:
>>
>> Concepts
>> Application Developer's Guide - Fundamentals
>> Application Developer's Guide - Advanced Queuing
>>
>> /Hans
>
> Sorry but no. I have checked my notes and I have an email from Mark
> Townsend identifying that FIFO claim as relating to sorted clusters.

I agree that my suggestions are not FIFO Tables which, as you say, are not implemented in 9i or before. Since OP didn't give details of the objective, I homed in on the 'automatic delete' that relates to GTTs, couched in a lot of 'I thinks, and ifs'. (AQ, on the other hand, provides FIFO and configurable autodelete, but not as traditional tables.)

However, 10g docco has an interesting discussion and example around the Sorted Hash Cluster as related to a FIFO at http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10739/hash.htm#ADMIN01901 - nothing I've seen yet indicates it's got an auto-delete though.

Then again, there is nothing [technically] stopping OP from developing a FIFO Table using Object Techniques, is there? <g>

/Hans Received on Mon Sep 20 2004 - 22:27:58 CDT