Re: Re-Install Everything to Add Pre-Compiler to 9i?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:44:25 GMT

Paul Stanial wrote:

> We're running Oracle 9i on a Sun E450. The database has been running fine
> for a few months. Here's the problem, when we attempted to install the
> Oracle C Pre-Compiler using DBCA (database configuration assistant) under
> "Customize" option, we check Compiler Tools (or whatever the prompt
> actually
> says) and hit next. The database shows what it's going to do, saying that
> it will "Re-Install the database." We stopped here (not wanting to blow
> away everything).

Not sure I follow the DBCA route. I've never even attempted to install precompilers through DBCA, so I can't comment.

AFAIC, the precompilers are not really part of a database. They are part of the software and provide libraries in the ORACLE_HOME. That kind of stuff I've always installed/renstalled/removed through OUI.

I assume the $ORACLE_HOME/proc directory doesn't exist, but the 'rest' of $ORACLE_HOME does ...

Fire the Universal Installer (runInstaller) up and start an install against the existing ORACLE_HOME, wander to the 'Database' or 'Client' install, select Custom install and select 'Programmer' and/or 'Call Interfaces' - the 'Install Status' should switch from 'Not Installed' to 'New Install'. Deselecting everything else should avoid attempting to reinstall software. Received on Wed Sep 15 2004 - 11:44:25 CDT