Re: Insert fails ORA-24345

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:22:42 -0700

Tim Bedford wrote:

> Hi,
> We've got a PC controlled machine at a client's site. When the machine
> finishes a batch process a text file of the results is generated. A
> utility I've written uses SQL*Loader to squirt this data into and
> Oracle table. The utility then performs some analysis on this data and
> puts the results in an "export" table. This export table is a mirror
> of a table on the clients network. The utility checks that a database
> link is open, then inserts the data into the remote table. At least
> its meant to.
>
> When our clients signed off the final tests the remote table was
> simulated on their laptop. Everything worked fine. Now its come to
> their site and the final INSERT to the remote table fails with error
> messages:
>
> ORA-24345: A Truncation or null fetch error occurred
> SP2-0642: SQL*Plus internal error state 2087, context 2:0:0
> Unsafe to proceed
>
> A select can be executed against the remote table without a problem.
> (DESC fails but I think that's another issue). Using 8.1.7.0.0 on our
> PC, not sure what version's at the other end but inserting data over
> other dblinks from other PCs works ok.
>
> Any ideas?
> TIA
>
> Tim

All versions of 8i begin desupport in a matter of a few months. That said the least you should do is patch to 8.1.7.4.

What bothers me about your test after the failure is that you state: "A select can be executed against the remote table without a problem." as I understand it a SELECT wasn't the issue so what possible value is a SELECT as a test? What happens when you try an insert? And have you looked at metalink? What did you find?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington