Re: Oracle 8.0.6 on Windows 2003

From: Michael D. Long <michael.d.long-nospam_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:03:19 -0400

I can confirm from first hand experience that you don't even want to try to get 8.0.6 running on any Windows version newer than NT 4. When Windows 2000 was first released I was working with a client that wanted to deploy on it instead of NT 4 as originally planned, and also planned to upgrade to Oracle 8.0.5 from 7.3.4 at about that time. They insisted we test against 8.0.5, so rather than mess up our primary Oracle development platform I tried installing 8.0.5 on Win2K. Big mistake. After 2 weeks of working with Oracle Support (a great team, BTW) we threw in the towel.

--
Michael D. Long