GUID's and uniqueness

From: Louis Frolio <froliol_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Sep 2004 07:37:07 -0700

Greetings All, I have read many upon many articles here regarding GUID data types and uniqueness. There have been many opinions regarding the effectiveness of GUID's and when they should/should not be used. However, every article strongly implies, if it does not state it outright, that GUID's are always unique. My question is this, what happens if you have a database that uses GUID's and the NIC is changed out on the box? From what I understand the MAC address of the NIC is used as part of the algorithm to generate a GUID. If you change out the NIC after generating 1 billion GUID's do you run the chance of generating a duplicate GUID?

I look forward to your insightfulness on this issue.

Regards, Louis. Received on Tue Sep 14 2004 - 09:37:07 CDT