Re: Oracle 8.0.6 on Windows 2003

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12 Sep 2004 11:10:15 -0700

karenmiddleol_at_yahoo.com (Karen Middleton) wrote in message news:<a5fd468a.0409120222.26000cc_at_posting.google.com>...
> I need to install Oracle 806 on Windows 2003 for a legacy application
> that works only with Oracle 806 it is not certified for Oracle 816 or
> Oracle 9x or Oracle 10g.

installing on windows 2000 is not an option?

> Can any of you please confirm whether Oracle 806 runs on Windows 2003.

no entries currently exist on metalink under certify and availability for 8.0.6 for w2k or w2k3.

> I managed to install Oracle 806 on Windows 2003 and it as been
> behaving miserably I cannot start some of the utilities like the TNS
> utilities I managed to uninstall most of it from Ora installer but not
> all of it before uninstalling I tried using Oradim80 to delete the
> Oracle instance created it just did not work.

can you at least use an 8.1.7.4.16 tns listener (or 9.2.0.5.3) on the server?
It should work well on w2k3, and should support connections to an 8.0.6 database instance.

have you tried using 8i R3 database server + patches (8.1.7.4.16) with compatible set to 8.0.6?
as far as I have read no patches are going to be released for security alert #68 for 8.0.x.
I believe that the 8.1.7 dbca (database creation assistant) had an option to select a compatible of 8.0.5 (instead of the usual 8.1.0).

> Please clarify where I am going wrong.

> Also, how do I clean up a messed Oracle install.

Metalink Note:124353.1
WIN: Manually Removing all Oracle Components on Microsoft Windows Platforms

> The ora installer as
> removed some components and refuses to remain the remaining quite a
> few TNS listener and Oracle instance Windows Services is still
> remaining lingering. Is there any other tool apart from the
> Orainstaller that can cleanup an messed Oracle install.

regedit - remove HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORACLE for starters. remove all oracle_homes, oracle_base and c:\program files\oracle. purge and reboot.

> Thanks
> Karen

consider opening an iTAR to determine if there might be EMS (extended maintenance support) available for 8.0.x.

hth.

-bdbafh Received on Sun Sep 12 2004 - 13:10:15 CDT