Re: Embedded SQL vs Stored Procedures

From: Gama Franco <gama_franco_at_clix.pt>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 09:47:19 +0100

Jim Kennedy wrote:

> "Gama Franco" <tiago_at_cern.ch> wrote in message
>

>>Sybrand Bakker wrote:

>>>You only think so. Also no real DBA would accept procedures are
>>>creating tables on the fly. Allowing this would mean the db is out of
>>>control.
>>>

>>>--
>>>Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Ok, here it goes.
>>
>>I'm programing a database based on a temporal extension to the
>>relational model. That means that I need to simulate the DBMS, and every
>>table created by the user will be a temporal table (dealing with time
>>intervals). The database will have tables to manage all the meta info,
>>and temporal tables will be created on demand (just like the way that
>>you create a table when you need in Oracle, but these one are temporal).
>>This means that the program will need to manage and create new tables,
>>and OCCI is a major requirement. It's CERN's official programming
>>language...
>>Because the system will be used by a large number of scientists, there
>>will be no DBA. To manage all this chaos, an hierarchical model will
>>handle the location of the tables (we simulate something like a file
>>system on the top of the hierarchical model, and every table will be
>>located at a leaf of the tree).
>>
>>This is just a brief introduction, and I would like to know if someone
>>already made the performance tests on Embedded SQL vs Stored Procedures.
>>If this is not the case, I will have to make the tests but I was looking
>>for a shortcut.
>>
>>I'm not crazy or stupid. This system is already running using MySQL (I
>>now what you're going to say) as the repository. It is already
>>collecting data and the database is somewhat big. We need to create an
>>implementation in Oracle and make some performance tests.
>>If you have a lot of scientist running their own experiments with
>>specific use cases, you need to figure out a clever way to give them
>>freedom without throwing them into chaos.
>>
>>Best regards,
>> Gama Franco
>>

> If you mean you are creating these tables permanently then it might be okay,
> but if you are creating and dropping them on the fly then it is a real bad
> idea.  I am guessing that mysql creates a variety of locks and that's why
> people create temp tables on the fly.  In Oracle it is rare to need to do
> that.  Stored procedures are nice because you control a lot of stuff and can
> redefine something's without changing code on the client.  Your biggest
> gains will be to read the application developer's guide, use
> asktom.oracle.com and USE BIND VARIABLES.
> Jim

Hi,

The tables are not dropped after creation. The point is that no DBMS provides temporal tables (tables based on the temporal extension to the relational model), so we need a system that provides them. This is the main issue here. Now, I'm afraid that a stored procedure that does all the actions needed to create such tables might be slower than doing them in procedures on OCCI (code those procedures in C++ rather than in PL/SQL)

Best regards,

   Gama Franco Received on Wed Sep 08 2004 - 03:47:19 CDT