Re: Embedded SQL vs Stored Procedures

From: Gama Franco <tiago_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 23:33:25 +0100

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:08:24 +0100, Gama Franco <gama_franco_at_clix.pt>
> wrote:
>

>>Unfortunatelly I really have to.

> You only think so. Also no real DBA would accept procedures are
> creating tables on the fly. Allowing this would mean the db is out of
> control.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Hi,

Ok, here it goes.

I'm programing a database based on a temporal extension to the relational model. That means that I need to simulate the DBMS, and every table created by the user will be a temporal table (dealing with time intervals). The database will have tables to manage all the meta info, and temporal tables will be created on demand (just like the way that you create a table when you need in Oracle, but these one are temporal). This means that the program will need to manage and create new tables, and OCCI is a major requirement. It's CERN's official programming language...
Because the system will be used by a large number of scientists, there will be no DBA. To manage all this chaos, an hierarchical model will handle the location of the tables (we simulate something like a file system on the top of the hierarchical model, and every table will be located at a leaf of the tree).

This is just a brief introduction, and I would like to know if someone already made the performance tests on Embedded SQL vs Stored Procedures. If this is not the case, I will have to make the tests but I was looking for a shortcut.

I'm not crazy or stupid. This system is already running using MySQL (I now what you're going to say) as the repository. It is already collecting data and the database is somewhat big. We need to create an implementation in Oracle and make some performance tests. If you have a lot of scientist running their own experiments with specific use cases, you need to figure out a clever way to give them freedom without throwing them into chaos.

Best regards,

   Gama Franco Received on Tue Sep 07 2004 - 17:33:25 CDT