Re: convert date to unixtime

From: Peter Valicek <Sonny2_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:22:35 +0200

Hello Andy,

Andy Hassall wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:06:16 +0200, Peter Valicek <Sonny2_at_gmx.de> wrote:
>

>>it is possible and how to get intead of the date field an Unixtimestamp
>>back?
>>I know in MySQL exist an function UNIX_TIMESTAMP(fieldname) which can do
>>this. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Date_and_time_functions.html
>>
>>How can I do this Oracle 8i?
>>I haven't found which fits my needs.

> Subtracting dates from each other gives you the difference in days. So:
>
> select (sysdate - to_date('19700101','YYYYMMDD')) * 86400
> from dual

It's a litte more complicated.
In a talble I have an field calles received_date from type DATE where an stamp i stored in ( oracle like syntax ). Former I have extracted in like to_char(received_date, '<format>'). For development it's eassier to work with an timestamp instead of this strange format - because of calculating with diferent Timzones - while the Server is located in UK and running in GMT but I need in Germany GMT+1 (Summertime) and GMT+2 (Wintertime).

Doesn't exist an funtion which gives the stored datetime as timestamp?

Cheers
-Peter Received on Thu Sep 02 2004 - 16:22:35 CDT