Re: Could not Login into ORACLE

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:59:05 +0200

On 30 Aug 2004 00:57:14 -0700, call_vishu_at_india.com (Wishy) wrote:

>I have installed ORACLE 9i, Enterprise Edition for General Purpose and
>have not changed any default settings.. on a Windows 2K Adv Server..
>I named the Domain as Kirbz.domain
>and the SID is kirbz
>When I try to login it ask for UserName, Password and Host String.
>I enter Scott, tiger and kirbz.domain...
>
>but does not let me into the SQL> prompt.
>
>what is the Host String?
>
>It gives No Listener, TNS blah blah... the same error message as in
>the HostString is Incorrect..
>Is there any default HOSTSTRING...
>
>Thanks in Advance
>
>Wishy

Actually you *did* change default settings by entering a domain and a sid.
No, you'll need to
configure a listener (to make sure other systems can access your server)
use the SID as host string.
Or better still: read those installation instructions. It's all there.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA