Re: suggestion needed...pls help

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 26 Aug 2004 16:12:05 -0700

sumon2003_at_fastmail.fm (sumon) wrote in message news:<6e7210ed.0408260338.1a026dc0_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> Thanx. Your words are very encouraging . My job duration
> will be approx 2 years.
>
> >Mark.Powell_at_eds.com (Mark D Powell) wrote in message > HTH -- Mark D Powell --

When I started 24 years ago a particular school had programming or operations. They discouraged people from operations (which IIRC included keypunch/data entry, loading punch cards, changing printer paper, and learning job control language). A friend of mine did it anyways, and eventually wound up travelling the world installing ATM machines and running Tandem iron and so forth. So for him it worked out. But mostly, I see operations as high stress, like you are stuck under the fat accounting lady with the bad attitude who rides your butt to get the reports out, or boring, like the old guy working the graveyard shift 'cause they need a warm body to watch for the flashing red cursor. While there are places that do actual operations research, I am not so familiar with that, although it has always sounded interesting. So my general overall impression for the commercial/business space is "like everyone else said, check out the particular situation for that job, but be aware that a lot of it really is not for a CS guy." The hot-stuff jobs are like java coding and such-flavors-of-the-moment, peruse dice.com or equivalent - the downside there is you can be replaced by someone even cheaper with overseas outsourcing. Not-so-hot jobs that are in high demand (ie, help desk) also might lead to knowledge of where actual good jobs are, if all you want is to stay employed while figuring things out. The important thing is to set some medium term goals so you can figure out how to get to where you want to be. Do you want to be by yourself in a computer room? Do you want to work with small groups of techies? Do you want to be The Boss?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
I want my flying car!