Re: DBFlash for Oracle - looking for beta testers (modified post)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 26 Aug 2004 13:57:03 -0700

beta_at_confio.com (Charlie Martin Beta program) wrote in message news:<eb49bd2d.0408251549.2f87364d_at_posting.google.com>...

> That'll teach me to read the documentation.

One wonders who writes your documentation. I looked at your RMM white paper, and it seems to have been written by someone who assumes DBA's don't know about modern versions of OEM (not to mention other tools). Statements like "For
example, if the I/O operations for a particular SQL statement are visible, but the latch information is missing, it is impossible to tell how much time, if any, is being spent on any of the 200+ latches. As a result, most DBAs tune the visible resources and then simply say that the SQL is "tuned"" are troubling, as it is a simple matter to look at any or all latches on pretty graphs, top sql statements, etc., and drill down in to an exact problem. Your quantification example doesn't seem to take into account effects propagated to resources of other sessions.

So what added value does your product have? Why is RMM better than Milsap, Lawson, or even Oracle's methodologies?

BTW, you should have googled and lurked in the group before posting to see the previous discussions about the charter, as is true of any group.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Bully.  http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/26/education/26bully.html?ex=1251172800&en=75fcc217518a0daf&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland