Re: How to capture context from a database link?

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:30:13 GMT

Jared wrote:

> Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message news:<ullgaoq2c.fsf_at_standardandpoors.com>...
>

>>First things first.  This is wrong design.  You are putting
>>intelligence in keys.  A definitely bad thing to do.  The domain
>>needs to be an attribute on the table being inserted.

> No, not an intelligent key, just a way to guarantee uniqueness when
> combining sequence-generated numbers from multiple databases. I would
> maintain that a key is not 'intelligent' unless some smartass
> developer (or designer) tries to use it as such.

[...]
> Thank you to all who responded. When/if I solve this problem I will
> post the solution.
>
> Kind regards,
> jh

In the documentation (for Replication) there are three alternatives given to guarantee unique sequence values from different databases.

http://tinyurl.com/6oqr5

Two of these sound like what you've tried, so maybe the third approach is the charm.

Also, what about "select * from global_name_at_dblink"? This is (should be) a unique value for each remote database, if you use the "alter database rename global_name..." statement as intended.

--Mark Bole Received on Mon Aug 23 2004 - 10:30:13 CDT