Re: OCI vs OCCI

From: Dave <recneps.w.divad_at_elcaro.moc>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:31:08 +0100

Gama Franco wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm developing an application in Oracle 10g, and it is part of the
> requirements an Interface in C++ under Linux.
> Since there are two libraries that I can use to interact with Oracle in
> C++ there are a couple of questions that I would like to make:
>
> - What versions of the gcc compiler do each library supports? I would
> like to support gcc 3.2, 3.2.3. Also support on cc 5.4 (on Solaris 2.8)
> would be nice.

On Solaris the certified/supported compiler is Sun ONE Studio 8, C/C++ 5.5

On Linux it's a bit more complicated:

GNU GCC 2.96.108.1                     Red Hat Linux 2.1
GNU GCC 3.2.3-2                        Red Hat Linux 3
GNU GCC 3.2.2-38                       UnitedLinux 1.0
Intel C++ 7.1.0.28

This information is taken from the Install/Config guide, which is also summarised in Note 43208.1 for those with access to Meatlink.

> - Is it possible to add triggers and stored procedures to the database
> using any of these libraries?

Yes. (answering "is it possible"? For the answer to "How?", RTFM)

If you're considering OCCI development, some awareness of OCI is useful.   OCCI is built on top of OCI, and the documentation tends to assume some familiarity with the underlying OCI behaviour. You can't really treat the OCCI docs as the "only" guide to programming Oracle, particularly when you get into some of the more complicated stuff (like threading and objects, for example - there is no explicit environment mode for this and you have to use a horrible cast to make it work - OCI knowledge is needed to know why that cast works).

Dave. Received on Wed Aug 18 2004 - 10:31:08 CDT