Sequence CURRVAL & NEXTVAL

From: CV <cv_at_nospamadelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:01:39 -0400

We have a procedure that tries to insert records into a table and uses the ID generated by a sequence as the primary key. Some inserts result in exceptions due to a Unique_key constraint. This is a desired behaviour for some exception handling that we do.
However, using the inserts as described above results in "wasting" many of the IDs from the sequence because the numbers generating an exception are not inserted. The inserts use sequence.NEXTVAL before doing an insert. To maintain continuity in the ID values, I have tried using temporary variables to hold the value of sequence.CURRVAL & increment the sequence value only if the insert succeeds. However, this approach doesn't work for the very first insertion & I get the following error: ORA-08002: sequence TEST_SEQ.CURRVAL is not yet defined in this session

Is there a way of using CURRVAL & NEXTVAL in an if-loop, so that their values are incremented only if a certain condition is met? Received on Wed Aug 11 2004 - 17:01:39 CDT