Re: question about product license and support

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 15:24:39 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Not bound ... but from my experience salespeople have flexibility and
> will use it to close sales. It may not be final ... but you'll be better
> off than you were at the web site.

A few final thoughts, some are not related to Oracle's sales force:

  1. the sales people have a small flexibility, but it reflects in their commission.

A rep will use that flexibility to provide rewards, eg: for loyalty. But, depending on the org and the rep, that could be less than 1%

Anything larger than the rep's permitted discount requires approval. Depending on the size of the discount, that approval might be required from up high (eg: Saffra or Larry)

2) any aggressive sales organization is quota driven.

If the rep doesn't make quota, the position is up for review. A certain urgency to attain quota is seen and some additional discounting is usually permitted. Decision to go to, and approve non-standard approval requests, is a balance between keeping the job and keeping the commission.

3) Non-standard approval depends on the business case (to the sales org)

To get approval from upper management requires a business case attached to the non-standard request. The rep MUST gather the info for, and write up, the case.

It happens that many such business cases are easier to achieve at end of quarter or year, simply because the approver is swamped. Not always, though!

4) unless the agreement is in writing, it is not final.

Sales reps leave a various times. I've seen some reps offer outrageous discounts knowing they were about to hand in their resignation and go to competition - simply to make the org. squirm and lose the sale ... the customer then follows the 'friendly' rep to his new job.

How 'bout the unfortunate chance meeting of the rep and the bus ...

5) the MSRP and posted discounts are always a good starting point for budget and negotiation.

Based on many years experience supporting both the buyer and the seller side, I do _not_ support assuming a non-standard discount at the budget cycle. I _do_ support intelligently and aggressively negotiating - at the right time.

I still don't understand how you can professionally advocate guesswork and dreams as the basis for budgetting. Anything other than standard discount and price list is guesswork, dreaming - and hoping that the stars line up right when the NSAR request goes in.

However, I see no sense in debating further. /Hans Received on Sat Aug 07 2004 - 10:24:39 CDT