Re: question about product license and support

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 10:31:26 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Hans Forbrich wrote:
>
>> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>>
>>>I'm not advocating not looking up the price at store.oracle.com. I'm
>>>saying don't give that price to management as it is at best ...the
>>>highest price you could possibly pay ... perhaps by a very wide margin.
>>>
>> <snipped>
>
> I never advocate hiding anything from management. Neither do I advocate
> being lazy and giving them information that is not accurate.

And how is any non-contracted price accurate?

Non-standard contracts and discounts are the result of past history, relationship with Oracle and/or the rep, the perceived business values (both yours and Oracle's), potential future sales, negotiating skills & time to do so, and a few other factors - and will change dynamically over time.

I'd think the only accurate starting point >for a new customer< is the list price with published discounts. (I assume OP is a new customer.)

> A developer or DBA should not try to replace their purchasing agent and
> negotiate a contract. But they can certainly trouble the salesperson for
> a trip to their organization and a 15 minute discussion about licensing,
> their needs, support requirements, and get a more realistic price from
> which management can make a decision.

Agreed to all except the 'get a more realistic price'. But ... not quite sure how getting a 'more realistic price' is different from 'negotiating'.

Please define 'more realistic', taking into account Oracle is not bound to any non-standard price until the contract is written & approved.

(These days, a new customer to any large sales organization, Oracle or other, is likely punted to a telesales rep - this is, however, irrelevant.)

/Hans
btw - I note the OP is silent to whole thread. Lurking, trolling, gone? Received on Sat Aug 07 2004 - 05:31:26 CDT