Re: question about product license and support

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:30:52 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> I'm not advocating not looking up the price at store.oracle.com. I'm
> saying don't give that price to management as it is at best ...the
> highest price you could possibly pay ... perhaps by a very wide margin.

So you advocate hiding facts from management in the hope that 'your' negotiation skills are better than the sales rep's?

I'd think management should hear "list price is $x, published standard discount is y%. We need to use those for budget and attempt to negotiate for better terms."

Or better "the reason is the product includes these other capabilities, so we don't need to buy product S from this other company saving $z."

Over the past 8 years, in EVERY company with which I've interacted where management was not made aware of the list price, they have made follow up decisions assuming the discount price holds for all purchases. In EACH AND EVERY CASE, the tech/PM/engineer who set up the project has ended up being fired for being wildly out-of-budget. That's 100% 'hit rate'.

Management needs facts to manage - not pipe dreams.

Developers and engineers need to learn how to evaluate product based capability rather than price or name.

/Hans Received on Fri Aug 06 2004 - 20:30:52 CDT