Re: question about product license and support

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 18:15:22 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Let me put it this way ... by negotiating the price I get RAC licenses
> at ~50% of the price listed at Oracle's web site. Bought 14 more
> yesterday. Saved more than $100,000. Any clarification required? ;-)

Yes - how do you know you saved? Your post advocates NOT using tools at hand to get MSRP before negotiating.

Remember, OP wanted a baseline ("but before that ...") from which to negotiate! For reference, here is his question & your response.

>> Yes I know I can call their sales to know these but before that I want
>> to have a clear mind of what I should get first and what I expect to
>> ask. Any help is appreciated, TIA!
>
> The worst possible way to answer the question you were asked is to go to
> oracle.store.com. Doing so is the moral equivalent to phoning a used
> car dealer and asking how much a car costs and thinking that is the
> actual price.

No one is arguing against negotiation. If you can sucker your sales rep into more discount, more power to you. But please don't set others' expectations of price on your situation.

By the way, you may be in violation of your contract by publishing your discount, unless they are within the published guidelines at http://oraclestore.oracle.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=11365&media=os_help_voldiscount

/Hans Received on Fri Aug 06 2004 - 13:15:22 CDT