Re: Invalid attribute in connection string. Nuby needs HELP!

From: Teresa Redmond <tredmond_at_Xanteon.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 16:42:02 GMT

"GitarJake" <gitarjake_at_spammersuntied.com> wrote in news:xCwOc.2697$FW1.45_at_lakeread06:

> Hi Chris,
>
> CONNECTIONSTRING = "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for
> Oracle};Server=db.world;Uid=sa;Pwd=;"

What you have to do here is open TNSNAMES.ORA, which is located in your OracleHome directory (C:\ORA_MGMT\network\admin\TNSNAMES.ORA for instance), and see what the Service_Name is for db.world. Like this:

db.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = hostname)(PORT = 1521))     )
    (CONNECT_DATA =

      (SID = SomeName)
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)

    )
  )

In the above case, SomeName is the Service_Name for db.world (called SID above). So your string would have Server=SomeName; instead of what you have above.

> I can't find "lsnrctl status" on my server. This is 9i, does that
> count?

That's a command line operation to find out the status of the listener. I'm afraid I'm too much of a newbie to say more than that without looking it up, myself... I'm trying to look it up now but OTN just isn't responding.

--
Teresa Redmond
Programmer Analyst III